Tuesday, September 10, 2019

One of those days...

So, it was not just a bad coffee day but a whole bad day! One of those days where even if you walk, you risk falling. 

My day started off with me staying home because my throat wasn't doing good from yesterday and I needed a break, I stayed home planning number of things including that 'make ginger garlic paste' reminder still blinking on my phone. I will do it, I got myself to a point where I took the ginger and put it outside the fridge, so that it gets my attention that I have to do it. I created that reminder after throwing the garlic which mom pealed and left in the fridge when she was here and it was rotten. Do you know how much pain is pealing garlic cloves? Now, I don't know if I will make a ginger paste, but I will do anything before it rots too.

I usually get coffee from the market below my apartment building when I work from home, lately the coffee there's been bad, its not good if I get it after 10, so I went at 9:30 and got a cup for myself but it smelled like there was a fancy sanitizer or a soup and I quickly threw it out thinking about the long nails of  the lady who usually makes coffee, though I complemented her nails once. My imaginations are crazy at times, what if the lady used a sanitizer and touched the inside of the coffee thermos? or what if she didn't rinse the can properly? Anyways, I threw the coffee out and I went in the elevator again to get coffee from starbucks across the street after husband insisting, coz he knows what happens if I don't get coffee - I vine all day. So, I went in the lift and I realized a strong smell and I knew this smell, it was the same which was in the coffee, so it was probably the cleaning spray smell which was so strong that it even got into my coffee when I was coming upstairs in the elevator,  coz I usually take the cup from home and it doesn't have a lid. So, I cracked the smelly coffee case. I don't know if it was possible, but I think it is, coz it was the same smell in my coffee. I then went to starbucks taking my work phone too, thinking I will sit in starbucks for sometime and log on to skype from work phone, but when do I ever have charging in my phone? and the coffee sucked, every sip of it. I hate starbucks, specially the one by my house, coz they always don't have one or the other thing, this time they didn't have sugar and by the time the lady got me sugar my coffee went cold and everyone knows that I like my food and coffee at boiling point.

Not just these two coffee events, I went to the lobby of my apartment where they usually have coffee(not the greatest coffee), but their machine was down and they had a new lavazza coffee brewing machine but they were waiting for installation. So, all my encounters to get a good cup of coffee failed miserably.

By the time I finished having the bad cup of coffees, I had other cravings, it was almost lunch time and I was craving schezwan food, I usually get craving of having spicy food when I am sick. I will admit that one good thing that happened today was that I got a good mapo tofu for lunch. But, when I went to the restaurant to pick the food, I almost fell because the floor was wet and the waitress mopped the floor and didn't put a sign. 

Now comes the main event why I started this blog, today was the first day of volunteering after the kids returned school this year for the Syrian community Network I volunteer at, I was excited and looking forward to it, I was gonna meet the kids after 4 months. I got ready and took a train because it was more convenient to avoid parking on the street.

There are two train stations near my house, a red line station and the green line, the green line is close to my house and during office hours even the red line comes to the station, so I went to the green line station and waited for the train, my phone showed the train will arrive in 10 minutes, I waited for ten minutes and got into the train that came on the station, half way through I realized the stations on my google maps weren't the same as the ones the train was stopping at. I asked the guy beside me - 'Is this red line?' he told 'No, its green.' I got down at the next stop and tried to figure out where I was, I realized I went west instead of North. 

Me - in the library, before starting to blog
I once took a bus and went southbound just looking at the number on the bus, but I had to go north, after that incident I knew which way is north and which way is south, simple directions - they existed even back home and I took the bus everyday, for 6 years and how did I become dumb all together? not knowing what is south, what is north? I blame technology. It made things easy, but it also made human beings brains to stop thinking like - If you want to go North and if you sit in anything going towards North, you cant just sit in it, it can also go west, that's what happened to me today, not only did I sit in a wrong train but also just sat in it for 15 minutes thinking this is a train going North bound it will only go North, not thinking it can also go west. Sorry, if this is too much E/W//N/S, but there was a lesson to learn, to be focused and to pay attention. I felt so bad thinking I cant commute in train without husband? I  drive everyday, but to the same place and use GPS if I am going to a new place and it changes things so much when you are walking and trying to use bus/train. 

I gave up and didn't think of taking a train again to go to the volunteering spot because it was too late. I thought 'be easy on yourself..' and sat in the library of my apartment because the library was cooler than my apartment and I needed a change in set up for the day.

That's all venting for the day. I know too many unnecessary details were shared and the hatred for starbucks was out loud .. After all the events of my day, do you think it was just me trying to find faults in the day or its me doing things wrongly :/

3 comments:

Nisha said...

It was a difficult day indeed! I am sure writing about it helped you and made you feel relieved 😊

Artistic Logic said...

That happens to me too - one thing goes wrong and many follow. Also, the issues you had with coffee, i come across that with other food cravings. Whenever i try to go for something i like, it comes out bad or is not available at the shop that always has it. But when Nayeem goes for something, its almost consistently good/available. Haha. I am happy he has good luck and we both noticed that I often have bad luck. But its ok, its all for a reason.
Also, the train issue - no worries Nams - it was your first time solo. Also the best teacher is our mistakes and now you have learned the different complexities of trains so I am sure you will figure it out much better and quicker now. I think doing things on our own helps accelerate our experience more - and not relying always on someone else.
Finally - i totally agree - the worst feeling is throwing out food that is rotten that you went out of your way to buy (groceries and fresh stuff).
Oh one more thing, I'm very proud of you for not using throw away cups for coffee and using reusable mugs from home :).

nameera said...

Thanks for reading Nisha.

I know what you mean Rabs..sometimes if I don't get anything, specially wen it comes to food, I just think that good, I didn't end up taking more calories.

Thank you Thank you. I remember the first time, at GM you told me 'you can get your own coffee mug...'