Tuesday, November 20, 2018

It's Thanksgiving Time!

A lot has been happening and a lot of times I felt like writing in the last few days..but I was just too lazy to blog. But, today, I am excited. Because, today is the last day of work before the holiday begins for thanksgiving, tomorrow I will work from home, but today is the last day to at least drive to work.

I am excited because I am going to Seattle, it has been some time we got out of Chicago, been 6 months. Thanks to the visa status, cannot travel out of country for some time, until next year spring/summer, otherwise I would be writing this blog saying 'I am going to India.'

This time of year is always dedicated to India travels, also this year I feel like going to India, because last year was hectic and challenging in India, because of Dad's health and the wedding, not to forget I was there for 4 months.

I feel, once my visa is sorted, I will go to India every year, like my colleague, he's a Punjabi, he goes to India every year and also does a side tour like seeing Bangladesh, Nepal etc..every year. (Sukh, if you are reading the blog, yes, it is you..haha).

I am getting excited for the Seattle trip, because a. We are going to meet husbands best friend and b. We will be living in a cabin for a day. c. I just discovered a very cool lake near the place where we are going to rent a cabin, in Leavenworth, its called Lake Colchuk. It takes a hike to go there, so I am not sure we will do it..but, I wish to find other lakes around like Lake Colchuk.

When I wrote a lot has been happening..I meant a lot has been happening, good and bad. Bad - there was a shooting yesterday in Chicago, infact a block away from my apartment, it was scary and sad..I was driving from work and the exit I take on the freeway was closed, there was a lot of cop cars, huge area was shutdown, there were helicopters and ambulances, there was tension in the air, I managed to take a few detours and get back home. I got worried and texted husband, he didn't tell me what was happening. Few hours later, I went to the gym and asked Toma, the maintenance guy if everything was ok, he told me that a guy shot 4 people. I was very scared, this was something that happened just next block from me. I returned home and told husband i doubt if I want to live in the southloop. After few hours I saw my sisters messages, she sent me the news slink to what happened, a man fired rounds in the hospital and killed 4 people, injured many..and killed himself too. This reminded me of the Grey's anatomy episode which I saw last week, where a man with Gun enters into the hospital and puts the whole hospital to a stop. I was in tears after seeing the face of a cop who was killed while on his watching duty, he was just 28, there was no returning home for him, there might be no thanksgiving for his family :(

I felt sad that decisions of a stupid man, can impact the society to this level. A man fighting mental issues has  freedom to go get a gun and just kill anyone? that's not the freedom we want. That's not the freedom anyone should give, that's not how the Gun control Law should be.

The next moment I read the news that there was a mass shooting in Denver, in a hospital. Are these incidents not visible to the law makers? It's sad to live in a society like this, it was sad to live in a society where bomb lasts used to happen in the name of religion and communalism..I thought nothing close to that would exist in the western world..but I guess it exists..it exists everywhere..

1 comment:

Artistic Logic said...

That's sad what happened. I guess we have to be careful everywhere.
I hope you enjoyed Seattle. The lake cabin sounds wonderful.