Tuesday, October 30, 2018

That sound in the background

It's 1 AM at night, my eyes refuse to shut and I go to the kitchen thinking maybe it's just the hunger and I take a box of one of the snacks I got for husband (My snacking habits are getting worst because of him), I was really a minimalist at buying food but now because I live with the husband, I have to consider him and stock something at home to make sure something is always there when he's hungry. Anyways, I am not writing to complain about food habits.

As I took the snack box and looked out from the window, I saw there was some tension on the street, there were few men crossing the street in random patterns in the middle of the cross roads, they kept going back and forth and at another corner I saw a cop patrolling. If you live in Chicago or been to Chicago, you know what's the constant background sound you hear...the alarm sounds of the cop vehicles and periodic fire truck alarms. 

I am bad at using East,West, North, South directions but moving to Chicago I learnt where South is...its sad, but it's the truth, because south is considered as a bad area because of more crime rate in that area. 

The place where I live is an intersection of two big roads and the famous ones, Michigan Ave and Cermak and I am on the South of Michigan Ave, not that south but South enough...its where you see noticeable difference on one side of the street and the other, I see Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and a newly opened Starbucks right from my bedroom and from the hall I can see Harold's chicken and Jerkville, Windy City bar. Harold's chicken is like the cheaper version of KFC, not that KFC is good but..just comparing. Jerkville is a Jamaican bar/restaurant- this is where most of the stuff initiates I feel.., it's in the south side of Michigan Ave and about there on the west is the windy city bar..both the places are open late night maybe until 4 AM..hence the chaos. 

When I was  considering moving here, I didn't expect any of the bad stuff in this area, 2 blocks away on West is the Chinatown and east there's a big convention center and a lot of hotels where people come to attend conferences, shows etc and in South there's all the stuff you are reading about. So, we are really on the border and I can see that within two years or so...people from north will soon push the people in South further south, in other words painting the town more white as  people move south.

So, the street looked like something was going on, you know something is going on when you see three cop cars randomly around the same street circling around one by one, hiding out in corners and keeping an  eye on the street and suddenly after few minutes I hear 4-5 cop cars stopping in one spot and they stood there for a long time, I don't know what was happening..a drug deal, some fight..I donno. Then about the same time, as I started writing this blog I heard sounds from another corner..from the bar in the west side...there's lot of traffic..there are cops and few men are yelling 'Let go! Let go!' On the other side few people are just standing watching the show and laughing, I don't know what is happening. To consider it just as a regular/casual fight between a bunch of drunken people at the bar or consider this place as really unsafe and be scared as I am right now...I am scared and at the same time thinking - there's so much action on these streets, you don't have to look at instagram or Facebook to fall back sleep, just sit with a snack and follow the cop cars going around...follow the hints, it's really an action, mystery scene. 

 I Googled if we can hear the cop chase live, I found broadcastify. I don't think I will need to listen to broadcastify..there's always some action happening on the streets.

3 comments:

Artistic Logic said...

Haha you are funny, i would never think to find the Cop transmission live. It would be interesting to here though if someone is really bored.
But you won't be because like you mentioned there's always something going on in a big city. It's nice reading about the stuff you're discovering, though I know this one you didn't feel so good writing about.

Artistic Logic said...

One of my tab's on my desktop is always open to your blog. I see it when I close my other tabs and before I close my computer for the night. I normally don't think to refresh it but today I did and was surprised to see a new post :) and happy.

nameera said...

AWWW <3

Makes me smile! Thank you :)