Monday, August 27, 2018

Hi, from the new City!

Alright! I have been thinking of writing (just wrote writing as righting, who does that??hahah) but kept postponing. 

The best timing to write is when you steal time from something else and you are lost and in mood to write. When I say lost I mean, you don't know what to do next. Isn't that the best? Not having to do anything next and not knowing what to do next? Your mind runs at the speed of an ant. That mode is perfect, the ant mode when you are 3/4th awake and still trying to not be a sleep head and trying to ready yourself for the worldly things. Ant mode is the best cos it challenges you to do things like work from home and sit in a cafe and sip coffee for hours and sometimes can also make you write, like me right now. But the coffee slowly kicks in and you think what you should write about.

There's a lot to write about, I just finished one month in Chicago and one month of living with husband. It's really a challenge with everything new, new city, new job and an extra person to live with... Living alone for so many years, it will take me time for my brain to consider an additional person around me while doing things. Right now I think, I do things at my own pace, operate without planning and sharing what I am going to do next or what I am going to cook. Those are few things I need to improve, think about another human being living with me aka husband. Haha. Will get there soon, I hope. 

Anyhow, to share the new friends, acquaintances status - I made zero new friends and attended zero events, with so many events happening in the city, because it's summer..I was always occupied with something stupid where my mind wanted to do something and I was doing something else.

Acquaintances, I am yet to make familiarize with people around me, like neighbors, maintenance, leasing office guys (these are the important people, because they're the ones having power when you need things done). Because, everyone is into their own routine, it's difficult to barge in and introduce yourself, for a person like me- it's a task. I was pissed when I got the meeting invite at work just the morning of the day I was supposed to introduce myself to the giants at noon. I didn't even get ready that day, I don't think I even showered that day, cos the previous day was Eid and I was still trying to come out of the food coma, I didn't want to be at work that day and planned to leave by half day and then in the morning I got a meeting invite for a meeting where new hires introduce themselves to the leadership. It was a disaster, we were told to introduce ourselves, mention our favorite color and hobbies. Mehhh!! I am yet to figure out both of those. I don't think I can, it's useless, what will you do knowing your favorite color? Some colors which you find in India don't even exist here. So, no point! 

I am new to the city, but I have toured it enough with the family and friends families that I can be the primary tour guide for someone. This past weekend, one of my friend from Michigan was here with her mom. I was kind of sick, but I didn't want to say 'No' to be the tourist guide. So, I said yes and started my day at 11 in the morning, only to come back at 10 in night, husband smartly bailed out and attended a fun stand up comedy show at which his friend was performing, I wanted to attend too..but...

So, this time Sears Tower broke the record, it took us 4.5 hrs to go to the top. When we were buying the tickets the estimated time for regular admission showed 2.5 hrs and city pass- which is a quick way to get around was 15-20 minutes. We thought, they just want us to buy the city pass that's why they show numbers like 2.5 hrs and 15 minutes. We didn't know when 2.5 hrs turned into 4.5 hrs..we were so dead we just sat in the line, without caring what people around us thought and just crawled some of the distance. Did you ever feel like ' why do I exist?' That's what I felt..I am sure the aunty who was visiting felt the same ( my friends mom, who's visiting U.S). I was scared that I will pass out and I don't have health insurance. I am yet to transfer that from old work to new work place, will do that today. So, yes...I was feeling like i will pass out and I was thinking I wish I do pass out, at least I will get out of this madness. It's been two days past that trauma and I still feel my eyes sunken and skin dry coz of all the walking in sun whole day. (Picture on the left for you to see what I am talking about, I don't look much different in general, but little better) I promise, I promise I will never do that kind of toursisting again. I was counting that everyone in the family has seen Sears tower, so I don't have to ever go back there again, coz this was my fifth time, then I remembered..sister and my nieces would come next year and I might have to go do the Sears tower Darshan again next year. I will do it wisely next time. 

Reminds me about my old post where I was complaining about being a tour guide in Hyderabad..

Here's the link if you want to read about me complaining more..
https://nameera-nameera.blogspot.com/2009/05/be-gregarious-or-be-waitori-choose.html

Post above is from 2009, feels like a different me, also laughing at my writing style then. 

1 comment:

Artistic Logic said...

Haha! I had fun reading this post. What colors exist in India that don't exist here ? I am curious. Also... you're right, why do people ask such questions, it doesn't mean anything but even I ask or think about questions like favorite color, hobby, occupation etc.
You could have told friend and mom to do the sears tower by themselves haha. I mean you've seen it so many times so, there's no point. Also, that's what many people I know do. They just let the guests roam to those tourist spots by themselves and take them out to the free or easy stuff like parks or getting food.
I can't imagine what it was like walking so much in heat. It is too hot here I haven't been out almost all summer.
Now it feels like this comment is turning into a letter.
Bye Nams!