Sunday, December 30, 2018

Being sick during holidays, not a coincidence.

This almost looks like a ritual, falling sick few days before new year. It happens to me every time, if I am in India when I am fighting jet lag and the immune system failing to fight the germs or when I am here in the States. This time of year is usually so cold, that my body gives up and I fall sick right around the new year time, when everyone's partying, planning vacation and other stuff I am sitting here with my glass of warm kadha (concoction of dry ginger and other spices).

I had a week off this time for Christmas, prior to which I was working from home for a week and I had a lot of goals before the holidays started, in which watching TV wasn't the main goal, but it looks like it prevailed. 


I wanted to get better at my skating skills, so much that I bought skates the second day of my holidays, I am at a very beginner level and I want to get better, I just used the skates once and the rest of the time it was either very cold or I had things to do with other people. Looking back at the time I had off, actually it wasn't that bad, I did some pending stuff I had to do, I took my car for an oil change(took me half a day, wonder why!), I went to dentist. I went snow tubing, which was super fun, I felt like a 10 year old and I tagged along with sister to a desi wedding of her friend who I never met before. It was a very thandi (boring) shaadi by the way, my hopes of entertainment were high but got crushed when the groom arrived and they played 'Mahi Ve' from Kal ho na ho, the movie is 20/25 years old now I think, after attending the wedding is when I fell sick, my sister said ' nazar lagi' (means to be afflicted by the evil eye - thanks google for the translation).


I was already feeling stuck because I did not have any vacation plans, I couldn't travel outside the country because of visa issues, now I feel more stuck being sick :(

More plans were made in the time I was sick and all of them were cancelled, I cancelled a brunch last minute with my husbands colleague, cancelled skiing trip (I did not want to go to this one, skiing isn't my thing, so I am glad I was able to play my ' being sick' card here), cancelled the breakfast plan I was supposed to make for sisters friend who came from Denver, didn't go to husband's friends house who just returned from India and invited us to his place, skipped on meeting a friend at the airport who came to drop her mom who was leaving for India. So, a lot of things were said 'No.' 

One thing that is still on is the New Years Eve Bollywood Night we want to go to, we booked the tickets for it today, it's going to be two different groups, sisters friends and husbands friends, hope it doesn't get chaotic and hope I get well by then.

Also, I kept remembering how I fell sick after my trip to Toronto in the end of 2016 and spent new year just at home. I don't want it to happen again, though I am not very hyped about occasions like this, this year I want to celebrate because I am in Chicago, one of the nicest cities in US, so I want to experience it and not just be like, 'lets do a house party.'

To end, this is probably the last blog this year, I am glad I am back to writing, bus commutes got me back to writing and I hope I continue it regardless of number of people reading it or number of comments I get, because that was never the criteria. This blog is more of a journal to me, which I would always look back to and laugh at myself and my stories.

Ciao 2018!

3 comments:

Artistic Logic said...

You have me motivated as well to blog. I'm glad you're writing more and more.
I didn't know you commute by bus?
Also some reason this post wasn't showing up in your blog when I refreshed my bookmark but I got the link from your IG.

Sorry that you were sick, I hope you recovered at least while being off. I am happy you are trying skating and just like you I'm not a ski person either. Tried once and never again i think. Lol

Talk to you soon! Happy New Years!

nameera said...

Ohh..by bus commute I meant the times I usedto travel in grey hound from detroit to chicago..

I like skating..but I cant do skiing. ugh!

nameera said...

I think you motivated me to write more than I motivated you..remember the journal you gave me? >:D<